The Chimney Sweep Company's guide to chimneys, flues and their problems...
Click on a heading to move to the section...
- How a flue works
- Flue Functions
- The smokey fire
- Primary cause of smokiness
- Secondary causes of smokiness
- Damp in flues
- Diagnosing problems
- Further sources of information
It is important to understand the terms used in connection with chimneys. These are principally as follows:
- FLUE - The flue is the void or passageway through which the products of combustion are removed from the fire to the outside.
- CHIMNEY - A chimney is the structure surrounding one or more separate flues.
- FLUE PIPE - A flue pipe is a single skin metal pipe used to connect a fire or appliance to a chimney.
- FLUE LINER - The flue liner is the material used to form the flue within the chimney. Flue liners can be of fire clay, refractory quality concrete or metal (usually high grade stainless steel).